As the Good old saying goes,
“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail”.
So how to protect your vehicle during Coronavirus lockdown?
Here Are Few Steps for Car Maintenance During This COVID-19 Quarantine:
- Start your car engine once in 3 days to avoid battery discharge. Make sure it gets up to full operating temperature before you shut it back down.
- Do not engage the handbrake when you leave the car parked for an extended period. When you leave the car idle for a long time, the pads or shoes can seize to the drum or the rotor and cause problems down the road when you move it. Use a tyre stopper or a stone and leave the car in gear.
- Move the vehicle forward and backwards slightly to prevent flat spots on the tyres.
- Make sure that your tyres are properly inflated and are at the correct pressure.
- Park indoors or use a car cover. Make sure your car is parked in a safe covered area.
- Do not leave junk or food items in the vehicle.
- It is wise to maintain a full tank to avoid rusting.
- Run the air conditioner with the blower on to throw out the dust.
- Disconnect your car’s battery if it is not in use for a long time.
Even your car needs some care when its working from home!
Here Are Few Steps to Make Sure Your Motorcycle/Bike Is Ready for the Ride after the Coronavirus Lockdown Ends:
- Activate all cables like clutch, accelerator, side stand and brake cables, once a week, to avoid rusting and settlement.
- Clean your motorcycle with water and wipe down with a dry cloth, periodically.
- Apply lube to chain, spring clutch cables to prevent rusting.
- To keep the battery charged condition, run the motorcycle engine in idling condition for 5-10 minutes once in 6-7 days.
- Cover your motorcycle or park in a shade to prevent from external damage.
- To avoid flat spots, move the motorcycle once a week to change the tyre position.
Government Provides Relief for Third Party Motor Insurance Policy Holders in the Light of COVID-19 Lockdown. Date for Renewal of Motor Insurance Policies Extended to April 21
The Government has provided relief for third party Motor Insurance & Health policy holders in the light of COVID-19 lockdown. The Ministry of Finance has issued notifications on April 1, 2020, stating that the renewal dates of Health and Motor insurance policies which fall in the period from March 25, 2020, to April 14, 2020, are extended till April 21, 2020 due to coronavirus lockdown.
This means that your existing policies which are falling due for renewal from March 25, 2020, to April 14, 2020, can be renewed up till April 21,2020.
Third Party Motor Insurance:
If your current compulsory third-party Motor insurance policy is expiring between March 25, 2020, and April 14, 2020, and you are not able to renew your policy because of country-wide lockdown then you can renew such motor insurance policy by April 21, 2020.
According to the notification issued by Ministry of Finance,
“The policyholders whose motor vehicle third party insurance policies fall due for renewal during the period on and from the 25th March 2020 up to the 14th April 2020 and who are unable to make payment of their renewal premium on time in view of the prevailing situation in the country as a result of Corona Virus disease (COVID-19), are allowed to make such payment to their insurers on or before the 21st April 2020 to ensure continuity of the statutory motor vehicle third party insurance cover from the date on which the policy falls due for renewal.”